Great Libraries of the World (GLOW)
Libraries Without Walls is producing a series of one-hour television programs entitled "Great Libraries of the World." These will be offered for broadcast on PBS channels across the nation, once the requisite number have been produced and are ready for broadcast.
The impetus for the series began some years ago, when a team of supporters first rallied to the idea. In the interim, however, the dialog has grown in sophistication about the consequence of digitized online library collections, searching with critical evaluation about authoritativeness, the role of libraries (and librarians) in society, and the funding of cultural heritage institutions in general.
- Libraries are inherently fascinating institutions, populated by experts and committed curators, filled with exciting discoveries and tangible evidence of the search for knowledge. They are educational institutions in the best sense of the term, filled with primary resources and engaged mentors, available to the public and community.
- Each program in the series focuses on a single library and explores the behind-the-scenes operations, the integration of advanced technologies and the conservation and protection of important collections of books, photographs, and documents.
- Each program includes interviews with managers and curators, sharing their enthusiasms, concerns, and admiration for the works and collections entrusted to them.
- Each program shares with the viewing audience quirky discoveries, surprising synergies, amazing confirmations of historical folk tales and myths.
- Each program brings to life the purpose and the contributions libraries make to the social fabric of our cities, rural towns, and schools... indeed, to citizenship and participatory governance.
- Future series are expected to expand into European, Asian, and Far Eastern libraries, ancient, monastic, historical... all containing the pathways and evidence of intellectual curiosity, debate, and resolution.
- Please feel free to contact us about your interest in GLOW at: firstname.lastname@example.org.